Sunday, June 10, 2012

Now Hiring! The Death Company

Photobucket

This was probably my favorite part of the Angels Solarus project, and it was a complete accident!

A while back, I had made these figures from Cathy's left over Dark Angel robed bodies, and a bunch of Death Company/ Sanguinary guard bits:

Photobucket

They were languishing in a box until the Solarus project.  Steve wanted some unique Death Company figures, but the original thought was to adjust the colors somehow.  The idea of these figures came to mind, and I did a test figure.  It was decided to go ahead and paint them all!  Here are the results:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

7 comments:

  1. Hello James,

    I really like your work which I believe is amazing. I bought a few of your painted miniatures on Ebay some years ago. The quality of paint is still really high!
    Can you please explain which colour you use to paint the red on your models (base coulour, highlights and shadows)?
    Thanks in advance.
    Pascale

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!

    Thanks for the kind words, and for supporting us!

    As I always say, I don't have any exact 'formulas' for colors, since I frequently get interrupted, or I don't even have the same colors to work with, etc. It is more 'generalities" that I am working from.

    For these guys, I started out with a scab red/regal blue mix, which was worked up to scab red. I then began to put blood red into the mix, working up to mostly blood red. I mixed vomit brown in the blood red for the lighter parts of the red. This kept the color from getting too 'hot', which it would have done if I had gone with an orange or yellow.

    The vomit brown was grayed down enough to keep the mix cooler. I have had to subsitute other colors in these mixtures all the time... the nature of the best I guess! :-)

    I hope that was helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello James,
    Thank you very much for your answer. Yes this is very interesting and helpful. I never thought of adding vomit bromn to highlight my red. They were always orange or pink when adding orange or white!
    How do highlight the black trousers? You get a blue grey effect which is really nice.
    Pascale

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I used a lot of Fenris grey on that area, lightened with space wolves grey

      Delete
  4. Thanks James.
    Pascale

    ReplyDelete
  5. your work is great but which one is your all time favorite.myself i love the pre heresy sons of Horus

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a difficult choice! However, my Engines of the Gods are probably my favorite. Not only are they scratch sculpted, they have spacescapes!!

    ReplyDelete